February 20, 2013

My Latest Heresy

I read the first few chapters of Garry Wills' Why Priests? last night. I chuckled a bit when I read about a "heresy" I didn't realize I was guilty of (to add the many others I'm very much aware of), namely that of the Stercoranists. These dangerous heretics asserted that the bread and wine of the Eucharist, after being ingested, were subsequently digested and then excreted. You know, like food.

So, if they're not digested (and excreted), then exactly what does happen to them?

Well, that's one of those questions you're just not supposed to ask, apparently.

It's best not to think about it.

2 comments:

  1. How do you like the book? I've been thinking of buying it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on page 203, out of 259 (not including the appendices). It has long stretches that, while interesting, do not seem particularly relevant to his argument (at least, not yet). But we'll see, there's still time for it to all come together. I'll post a full review after I'm done, which will hopefully be in the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete